On June 24th, Florence celebrates St. John the Baptist with a very important city holiday. If you have decided to stay or get in town for the occasion, we suggest 5 things to do to enjoy a day of vacation in Florence.
- The fireworks show is the traditional way to celebrates the saint patron. It will start at 10pm of the next Monday and it is free for all. So direct your look to Piazzale Michelangelo, from where the fireworks will started. A striking point of view is that offered by the Santa Trinita bridge, but it is not the only one. We point out on the initiative of the cultural association inZuppa which organizes a picnic with a tablecloth and binoculars on the beach of Lungarno Serristori.
- The final game of the “Calcio Storico Fiorentino”. It is an ancestor of modern football and soccer, played as a tourney between the four historical district of the city. This year the final ply will be between White team against Blue team from 5,30 pm in Piazza Santa Croce.. The Middle Ages return to life in all its force to win a Chianina cow and eternal glory. From 3pm a magnificent historical procession with hundreds of people in costume will start from piazza Santa Maria Novella.
- For lovers of fine cuisine began the season of food festivals in the Florentine sourrondings with cheap prices, casual atmosphere and relief from the heat. In strict order of proximity to Florence, we mention the festival of ficattola and coccoli (fried dough) in San Donnino, the feast of tortello and bistecca in Borgo San Lorenzo (stuffed pasta and traditional steak) and the fish festival in Cerreto Guidi. Choice your favourite delicacy of the traditional Florentine cuisine.
- For lovers of the Florentine skyline, go up! From 24th June Tower of St. Nicholas will be reopened to the public with guided tours from 5pm to 8pm and the Tower of Palazzo Vecchio that dominates Piazza della Signoria with its 95 meters high from 1299.
- A touch of Africa in the city. The DAY ONE Association organizes the exhibition “JUNE OF AFRICA” with the exhibition of works of African art at the Caffè Astra al Duomo and the foyer of the Auditorium al Duomo in Via de’ Cerretani 54/r. The exhibition of works of art by young contemporary artists tells us about the great artistic value of an emerging generation, and it is proposed as the first stage of a project of cultural exchange with Italy raising awareness about the humanitarian conditions in Ghana. Admission is free from 10am to 5pm.
If you enjoy a long weekend in Florence the events for your diary are two: the charming Notturna di San Giovanni which begins in Piazza del Duomo at 9 pm of the next Saturday the 22nd of June and the concert by of one of the most popular Italian singer Jovanotti on Sunday 23rd of June at the Artemio Franchi stadium.
With VivaFirenze will be a beautiful weekend in Florence
Questo post è disponibile anche in: Italian